WELCOME

You are reading the thoughts of one who has kept them mostly out of the public venue. By virtue of the concept, blogs seem narcissistic so you can expect a lot of personal pronouns to show up.

I don't like being pigeonholed, though many have called me a conservative. I agree with much of what is often considered conservative views, but I do tend to occasionally differ on this view point. I have also been termed opinionated. Well, please remember this is my view, and I consider my view valid until convinced otherwise. That doesn't necessarily make it right; it simply makes it my view.

Please feel free to leave a comment.

NOTE: The posts in this blog are duplicates of the column I write for the Perris City News and Sentinel Weekly.

All right, let's get started. You are about to read neither the rantings of a madman nor the reflections of a genius. Perhaps somewhere in between:

March 12, 2015

Time Thieves

I’m sure you have, at one time, wished for a do-over on something that didn’t quite turn out to your satisfaction. I know I have … many times. In fact, there are major portions of my life I would like to relive again. It might be safe to say, those were a waste of time.

But what does that mean? Out of curiosity, I sat down with a calculator and went through some computations to get a perspective on wasted time. The results were an eye-opener.

According to the World Health Organization, the average life expectancy for a male living in North America is 77.2 years. The ladies do a little better at 81.2 years. To put that in more familiar format, men are allocated approximately 676,272 hours of life: Women get 711,312 hours to do whatever they do with their lives. (Some might say nagging men to death, since the men die earlier. But that could be a subject for another column.)

I’m sure we all strive to live life to the fullest, but do we really mean it? There is a large chunk of this life allotment that we have little choice in “wasting”. If you are like me, I like to get 8 hours sleep. That is a full 1/3 of my 676,272 life-hours – 255,198.5 hours – spent with my eyes closed doing nothing productive. We all spend 183,960 hours in childhood (assuming 21 years), much of which is tied up in school. If you are lucky enough to get a 40-hour a week job at age 21 and plan to retire at age 65, you will have spent 88,000 hours dong whatever someone else pays you to do. So, what do I do with my “free” 149,113.5 hours?

That is a hard question to put a firm number to. Much of life allotment has been and will likely continue to be spent on the freeway looking at brake lights in front of me? That too is probably not very avoidable.

How would I like to spend the rest of my “free” time? Given a preference, I would love to spend more time with my family, fishing, hunting, riding, or camping. Do I do it? Well, no. Somehow, I can’t seem to find the time to do much of what I would like to do. There is always something needing to be done around the house, “projects” that suck up a good bit of my time – whether finished or not – and then there is always time spent doing something for someone else.

You too? Now add time spent on the recent invention of “social network.” It used to be if we had something to say to a friend or relative, we would call on the phone. We might even meet them and discuss things over a beer or two. Now it’s texting, twitter, facebook, or any of the other computerized time thieves. For some reason many, increasingly more people seem to think they have to be in touch with their friends or family every waking hour of the day. If they aren’t tied up texting or tweeting, they are wearing out their thumbs playing on-line games.

Sound familiar? How many “spare” hours of your life, do you have to spend on things you don’t really enjoy doing?  If you were given the like amount of time in dollars, how would you spend them knowing that is all you will ever have? There are no credit cards to give us extra hours in our lives. The numbers of hours you get are all you will ever have.

Looking back on it, I have many regrets in the way I spent my life hours. When I was young, I viewed my life hours much like I would have if they were dollars. If I had a huge stash, it wouldn’t matter to waste a few … then a few more …. But of course, how many young people ever contemplate their life hours? The older I get, the more I think about it.

In the event reincarnation is real, though, I should probably make a note to my next-life self: Take good care of your life hours; there aren’t enough to waste on time thieves.




No comments: