WELCOME

You are reading the thoughts of one who has kept them mostly out of the public venue. By virtue of the concept, blogs seem narcissistic so you can expect a lot of personal pronouns to show up.

I don't like being pigeonholed, though many have called me a conservative. I agree with much of what is often considered conservative views, but I do tend to occasionally differ on this view point. I have also been termed opinionated. Well, please remember this is my view, and I consider my view valid until convinced otherwise. That doesn't necessarily make it right; it simply makes it my view.

Please feel free to leave a comment.

NOTE: The posts in this blog are duplicates of the column I write for the Perris City News and Sentinel Weekly.

All right, let's get started. You are about to read neither the rantings of a madman nor the reflections of a genius. Perhaps somewhere in between:

December 17, 2014

Dear “Concerned”


As a columnist, I find it always nice to receive feedback. You know at least someone is reading your stuff. Whether negative or positive, feedback can be interesting if not always constructive. And although I usually don’t respond directly to either type, occasionally something comes across my desk that just begs to be addressed.

This time it is a letter from a “Concerned American Citizen.” This letter stood out because it wasn’t criticizing or praising something I wrote. Actually, it was more of a plea for help with a distinct tone on frustration and despair.

Mister or misses (could not tell the gender) “Concerned” was retired from the Perris School District after thirty-five years of service, owned a home, had a mortgage, and was now being forced out of that home by the loan company. No, this is not unusual; foreclosures are still rampant in the Inland Empire.

What caught my attention in this situation was that the bank had foreclosed on the home and sold then it to illegal immigrants. Although I have no way to corroborate this claim or the immigration status of the buyers, I find this type of action occurring so often that I have no reason to doubt the allegation.

No. Wait. It gets even weirder. “Concerned” had tried to re-finance the home, but was denied – for what reason was not stated. The letter said that “Concerned” was told by the bank that he/she was the “wrong type of Mexican.” That “had [he/she] come from Mexico”, he/she would have been able to keep the home. Presumably, the bank was telling “Concerned” that they would have been able to qualify the re-finance had he/she been in the country illegally!

Bizarre as it sounds, this is probably true. For years, there have been reports that many loan companies are soliciting and giving preference to illegal immigrants for mortgages. Proof of citizenship is not a requirement to own property in this country, and most loan companies will accept the ITIN (taxpayer number) in lieu of a Social Security number for a loan.

“Concerned” blames the situation on Obama, and with Obama’s executive amnesty, it’s tempting to accept this excuse. Unfortunately, this was going on long before Obama officially blessed illegal entry into our country,

The banks like getting money from any source and pushed the government to create the ITIN for those that don’t have a Social Security number. The government likes getting income taxes so they created the ITIN so people could file a tax return in spite of not having legal residency or a legal right to work here. Everyone just gives a blind eye to illegal border crossers saying, “it ain’t my problem; it’s the Border Patrol’s problem.” They just want the money.

Well, “Concerned” is now paying rent while people who have no legal right to be here or even work here are living in what was his home. In the vernacular, that sucks!

During the Great Depression, banks were shown to be heartless beasts driving families from their homes and farms. Almost a century later, the only change seems to be that after taking the family homestead they now give preference to ownership by those who have no right to even be in the country.


I’m no Ann Landers, but my reply to “Concerned” is: I can truly sympathize with your plight, but the near future doesn’t look too rosy with Obama’s illegal executive amnesty. My only suggestion is what the Democrats would tell you – suck it up. Apparently, America is no longer for Americans.

No comments: